Tuesday, December 30, 2008

core audio: system overload.

system = G4 1.0GHz x 2 PowerPC 1.5GB RAM

After two days, I am at a standstill. I will strip out a few more things from the system, and limit processing to a few instrument tracks without running any effects which is not very much fun but at least until I can figure out next steps. Perhaps it is time to step up to a 2.0GHz+ x 2 G5 PowerPC machine or even an Intel box running only Logic and relegate this G4 to running pithy applications like Photoshop and InDesign and Mail and Safari.

I am still trying to figure out an overall system scheme that includes a server that is always on that has our music on it (so we can access it anywhere including the Xbox to play it through our audio system) but also picture files, documents, etc. etc. and then something that is screaming fast that includes multiple drives for effects files and sample files for Logic and I thought again of the G3 sitting in the basement that could play media server once configured with a bigger drive that then backs up to say its own USB 2.0 or Firewire drive on a schedule (this could even have all our documents on it too and we could access mounting via AFP) then (and this is wishful thinking) a new G5 or Mac Pro running Logic with either multiple internal SATA drives backed up to its own Firewire or internal drives setup as RAID-1 mirroring within Disk Utility but the point being that machine and its backup would only be for audio files while the G3 server would serve up everything else. Julian would still have his G4 iMac and this G4 would be used for Photoshop work. As long as this is wishful thinking, I could try selling this G4 which would possibly net me a few hundred clams and then I would get a G4 iBook (1.0 or 1.25Ghz why not?) to use as a webbook to sit on the couch and surf the web and do email for which I would set up a wi-fi router hidden somewhere in the living room or maybe just in the media closet once it is all assembled and then also when plugged into a monitor to run Photoshop and InDesign and such and it would be reading/writing to the (possibly G3) server as stated would be backed up by an external drive.

Hmm. Jeff says I have reached nerdvana. He also said there are hundreds of networking options it is just a matter of finding which one suits your needs. My initial thought is I think this would work. And yes I totally realize this entire post was completely pointless to anyone besides myself more like me instead of talking typing to myself which I suppose pretty much describes this entire blog so there you have it system possibilities and overloads and all.

No comments: