Friday, February 26, 2010

Ne frustra vixisse videar.

I lived, because living became my Fate,
Ordained to walk the face of Mother Earth,
To sweat, toil, labour, something to create,
To love truly… for whatever ‘twas worth …
Instead of insight I collected thorns,
Clawing, tearing the fabric of my heart,
I tried planting wisdom yielding acorns,
Yet I never managed to become smart.
It will not be long before I depart
- Time will be up, with near nothing achieved -
To my Creator to return my heart
N’er my tortured soul that so often grieved.
My soul got tainted with un-wished for stain;
But let me not seem to have lived in vain.
© 2008 P.J Oszmann

The Latin phrase is generally attributed to the sixteenth century astronomer Tycho Brahe who - reputedly - uttered them to Johannes Kepler near his own death. The photo is of the Helix Nebula (and commonly referred to as the 'Eye of God' Nebula) located in the constellation Aquarius about 700 light years from Earth.

No comments: