Sunday, March 7, 2010

just an example.

So I have been thinking a lot about stuff and the fact that I have been writing music for a while now to myself in my living room on my Bechstein and in my head and in Logic and that is all well and good except it is no longer good enough. When I was in my twenties I was writing music. Songs like Radiohead or Suede or concertos for pianofortes and orchestras. When I was in high school I was writing piano sonatas and this instrumental concept album of sorts. All of eighteen years old or so I went out and wrote a letter to the guitarist Marty Friedman to ask if he would want to collaborate with me. A year later he replied sure send him a tape. I never followed through. When I was ten I wrote my first song. Uh, yeah. And up until roughly three years or so ago I was convinced it was all crap. Well, maybe not all of it. The concertos for pianoforte and orchestra were impressive albeit incredibly daunting and I had come comfortably to the realization that they would end up being finished much later in my life when I had lived and had time to fully ingest and then reformulate into music and motifs and orchestral power larger than life all of those experiences and ideas which to me was perfectly fine.

But these songs that have been going on in my head and now transposed onto the Bechstein and in Logic have been bugging me because I am quite convinced they are actually not crap. Which is believe it or not one incredibly huge step for me. I tend to think everything I produce is crap.

But anyways this is all really just to say recently I finally stepped out from behind my walls to start networking to find other musicians that may see and understand my vision and be able to collaborate in a way that is impossible just me at my piano in my living room. It was tough posting MP3s. Not because I think they are crap. Well, partly they are because they are a fraction of what I hear in my head. But sharing does not come easily. But since it is out there ... I felt like those MP3s really did not give a glimpse at maybe what I really have been working on.

So I threw together this minute and forty seconds of sound tonight to hopefully give anyone who comes across my reaching out to get a better sense of what I mean when I say however it is that I describe this stuff in my head. 'Symphonic Rock.' Something like Muse. My often-used adjective 'furious.' I don't know.

After the intro and the time/tempo change the singer comes in. Moments of delicateness. And then it builds. And builds. And builds. Overdriven guitar arpeggios up and down. Furious piano arpeggios and those big fat chords! Drums beating harder and harder. The driving bass line comes back in. Vocal line soaring. Rising and rising. Crescendo. Crescendo. Crescendo.

It is not finished. It is still just a fraction of what I hear in my head. It is just an example.




Linked file is here.

cheers

No comments: