Friday, April 22, 2011

gear lust, er ... list.













So part of this year's plan was to go lighter/farther/faster (faster will be tough, but I can definitely shoot for lighter and more remote). And along with that ideology comes a few new gear items for the year -

- Montbell Crescent 1 solo tent -

I've had my eye on this tent for a couple years now. Time to pony up for it - I say 'pony up' cos REI doesn't carry Montbell so I'll have to (*cough*) actually pay retail ... And I know - it tips the two pound goal for a tent at 2 lbs. 6 oz. (packed weight). But short of just tarping it, this thing is s-l-i-c-k. And I plan on doing at least one or two solo overnight trips this year (mostly for photography but also cos I tend to think it's good for the soul).

And ... paired with the GoLite pack below (1 lb. 10 oz.) and either my REI Flash UL 40 or Marmot Hydrogen 32 (both just over 1 lb.) bags - the three still add up to the ultra-light holy grail of under 6 pounds for the tent/bag/pack combo.

Yeah, this kit is wicked cool - holds the stove and a fuel canister inside the 700mL titanium pot (and an extra canister on top if needed). Weighs in at eight ounces for the whole deal. Uhh, yeah - eight ounces ... hot chocolate at night (along with a hot meal) and instant coffee (or white trash mocha) in the morning will always be on the menu.

- GoLite Peak pack -


Tried this puppy on one evening at the Seattle REI and shoved about thirty pounds in it - fit like a glove. Under two pounds (1 lb. 10 oz.). About 40L (size large). Check. Check. Check.

Okay, so this is probably the most exciting piece of gear I've discovered this year (the other three aren't new - this one is) - a pair of these carbon fiber poles tips the scales at a whopping nine ounces. Uhh ... that's about the weight ... of one carbon fiber pole. And (wait for it ... ) no camming device that will eventually break! No flick locks even - just whip 'em into place like a tent pole and never worry about them. I just ordered these - and cannot wait to try them out.



And from last year -

- Cascade Designs NeoAir pad (size regular 72" length) - 14 oz. - the most comfortable air mattress I've ever slept on in the backcountry and cannot feel the cold of the snow through it - this piece of gear is absolutely stellar - a rock star and well worth its minimal weight in gold as they say
- Black Diamond Raven Ultra Pro ice ax - 12 oz. - this thing is awesome, but I have to admit for the more technical climbs I've done I've wished for something with - well - a bit more heft to feel more secure (so for those I carry the lightweight Petzel Aztarex tool - the lightest ice tool out there)
- REI prototype single-wall 2-person Duet/Ace SW tent (put into production for a year I think before being pulled) - weighs in at 3 lbs. 15 oz. packed and stuffs down to nearly half the size of my next lightest tent, the REI Quarter Dome (which makes sense cos it's a single-wall without a separate rainfly and body)


Now just need to head out ... cannot wait. Just what'll be the first trip ... ?

No comments: