Tuesday, March 24, 2009

time stands still.

And then it hit me. I had come up with the melody of the verses for this song years ago but it had a very dour lyrical approach which I wanted to revisit and rewrite completely new but out of nowhere the melody hit me tonight and then as I went over it in my head I came up with the chorus which sent me rushing to the little corner in my living room to fire up my Mac and get this idea on tape (or, in this case, hard disk) before it escaped me for another couple of years. It is like everything driven by a very heavy, dense piano line and is a song as I hear it still in my head that builds and builds until it reaches the first chorus, then keeps that level but builds more upon the second chorus, then keeps that, then crescendos unbelievably with the third chorus and the end. This is incredible and a song that over the course of roughly fifteen minutes went from an age-old idea in my head to something of substantial worth that will be developed at all costs! Lyrics are lame at the moment but trying to wrap my head around what it is I want to write hopefully ambiguous of course and then will figure out how to write it. The idea is what I will fall asleep with in my head tonight, better that than this pounding music.
And time stands still
Must all be veiled? Unseen?
Where "and time stands still" starts out on the third of a C♯ minor, then rises to an E major then a B major then a G♯ minor with an enormous crescendo at "unseen" but rising still higher to end back on a C♯ minor an octave-and-a-half above and at least a few dynamic markings higher than where the phrase started and then an enormous ending and silence and in fact the whole song is hugely-intense and very heavy-sounding with quite phenomenal and enormously difficult guitar and piano lines. But regardless, it will be something else entirely to find someone who can sing this that I hear in my head.

No comments: