Tuesday, September 2, 2008

escape velocity.























I know there are months – years – when writing is impossible so this I guess is why I'm seized by the need to work work work. I am still pouring over formulas and calculations of the square of the gravitational constant multiplied by the mass of the body trying to escape divided by the radius of the distance between the escaping body and the center of the gravitational force acting upon it and the idea that this all relies on the conservation of energy with respect to a gravitational potential energy at any given position and to somehow put this into words this idea of trying to defy Fate and somehow find a way to escape knowing full well it is unlikely if not impossible but regardless the idea of being able to overcome anything against any odds even gravity itself each of our own enormous potential the key this time seeming to be the relationship between the chord of E-flat minor and B major (in the key of E-flat minor, oddly enough it's the sixth so I haven't been able to figure out why the sequence is so powerful but through inversion the only note that needs to change is from B-flat to B so that could be part of it) here just pounding away on this old grand piano (as David Helfgott's professor would shout as he pounded Rachmaninov 'don't you just love those big fat chords David!?') slightly out of tune (I need to get on that) in the corner of my living room one tiny light on the lid open the neighbors no doubt rolling their eyes wondering what's gotten into that guy pounding away it all exploding anyway.

I hear it beginning with a muffled sample of a voice heard over the radiowaves from a command center to a spacecraft and more and more samples begin to layer on each other and then out of nowhere the enormous sounds of the piano playing fortissimo chords on the low register the key of E-flat minor and eventually finding its way to this heartbeaking melody on the two chords mentioned above until an enormous crescendo again and a cycling sample of that muffled voice decades past talking to a spacecraft having freed itself from Earth's gravity fades away.

All I've been able to come up with is for the end where I'm banging those two chords and thinking to myself ~
gravity fails and I'm surprised to find myself floating away
through infinite space on a constant force floating away
floating away
away
away
away












1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmm... Newton's (and Kepler's) laws. Good stuff.