Monday, September 1, 2008

new heights.


As I had promised him earlier this summer, I took Julian out to Mt. Rainier National Park so that he could climb his first real mountain and stand on a real summit. I thought Pinnacle Peak was a perfect climb for just that - pretty quick, plenty of elevation, a good bit of 3rd and (some) 4th class scrambling, lots of air and a great view. We made it to the Pinnacle–Plumber saddle in short order, then took to the roughly-tread climbers' path that leads under the south face of Pinnacle before I started picking our way up, trying to remember the route from a vague recollection of my first solo climb years past. I recalled on the way up the exhilaration I found at the top from finding my own way up, then of standing on top with the place to myself. I think at that point I had only climbed two other peaks - Adams and Baker.

But this was J's day, and for good right. We made short work of the south face scramble and at one point were able to peer down the sheer, overhanging west face to the switchbacking saddle trail far below. We stopped just before the crux to let a guy on his way down pass (for what seemed to be for his relief since he seemed a bit hesitant and nervous, but also for ours to keep from getting hit by any rocks he might accidentally kick down). Once he was passed and we had bid him a safe journey, Julian led the 'crux' pitch which was about a 50' class 4 scramble that had a bit of air and excitement to it.

It didn't faze him - nor had the peering over the sheer dropoffs. This kid has no fear of heights. Past the crux, it's a quick peel to the summit where we relaxed after I congratulated him with hugs and kisses for having gotten his first summit. I couldn't have been more proud - here was my kid totally comfortable on the craggy summit of a peak with 1700' of air beneath us and he just seemed in his element.

From an early climb on Mt. Constance where I was with two other guys, one of which was having a bit of a freakout negotiating the downclimb of a gully from the Cat's Ears to our high camp and I stood in the moment there completely relaxed and feeling almost more at home than I do literally being at home, I realized the mountains are where I belong. Where I feel completely relaxed. There is no other place that brings me more peace. And it was just f'in cool to see my own kid feeling and acting the same way I know I do when I'm surrounded by peaks in every direction with a view to everywhere and among boulders and ice and a harshness and brutality but beauty that cannot be found anywhere else.

This was a good day. Sad to see summer go, but he'll have two memories that I wanted him to have and now to hold with him indefinitely ~
  • Backpacking 26 miles in 4 days, up to an elevation of 11, 823' up and over Kearsarge Pass in the middle of granite peaks as far as our eyes could see in Kings Canyon
  • Climbing his first real summit – not just a walk-up, something he had to work a little for and really get the satisfaction of having done it
No matter if he doesn't, though. I will.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm... nothing like a bag of Cheerios on the summit!

thom said...

After we got down, I up'd his pride by telling him that Uncle Jeff/Martin would have been scared of the heights.