Wednesday, September 10, 2008

powells.

So a business trip to Portland required the requisite side-trip to Powells, the largest bookstore on the planet.

I didn't have a ton of time, so quickly made the rounds to my required sections – home repair/remodeling, architecture, climbing/hiking, photography and music. My choices this time included ~
  • On The Ridge Between Life And Death by David Roberts; Roberts was Krakauer's mentor, and here writes about what compels mountain climbers to take the risks they do. He recounts the exhilarating highs and desperate lows of his climbing career, judging himself that climbing is worth the risk in order to feel more alive.
  • Smart Homes : a guide to structured wiring (i.e. creating a central hub for all network/cable/audio/communication wiring within a house, which will require re-routing my phone/cable/DSL drops from their various, disconjointed locations down to the basement, configure a central box with all necessary pieces and then begin routing wires – cable, ethernet, audio, and phone – throughout my entire house), which is my next house project that I must begin before I can hang the rest of the drywall in my bedroom
  • Hiking Map & Guide: Southern Wind River Range + Hiking Map & Guide: Northern Wind River Range : cos I haven't yet figured out where we'll be hiking, but I'm mostly convinced we'll be backpacking and climbing into the Cirque of the Towers in the southern part of the range cos the approach is shorter than the approaches into the more rugged and remote northern range
  • Updating Classic America Bungalows : simple – for inspiration; I saw a few cool ideas in this book

1 comment:

Mark said...

Let me know if the Roberts book is good.