Thursday, February 26, 2009

darwin.

Prompted by a simple quote flashed up on a slide at an REI meeting, I quickly Googled 'Darwin quotes' and came up with a list of quote after quote that struck me as quite profound and must now begin reading his work once I finish the Sagan book I am working on at the moment. The quote that was brought up turned out to be the first on that list ~
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."
This has so many varied applications it is astounding. I see similarities with him and Sagan already, and my interest in Darwin's theories and ideas is now piqued.

Another one that seemed Sagan-esque was this ~
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."
Religious viewpoint aside, the idea of mystery – something we cannot explain (at least not yet) fascinates me. And then, fitting at this point in time ~
"How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children."
Lobbyists are already apparently lining up to get ready to do battle with Obama's ideas for reinventing our failed and embarrassing environmental and healthcare policies for fear of change or adaptation. That last quote, uttered sometime in the nineteenth century, is just all the more relevant today and circles around right back to the first quote.

No comments: